Here is a 5-minute detailed guide about things to do in Pondicherry that will help you plan your trip.
|Suitable For||A group of friends/colleagues, Solo Travelers, Couples|
|Approximate Budget||INR 4000 to 6000 per head, can be done in less|
HOW TO REACH
Well connected through all modes of transport
- Self Drive your vehicle
The Easier method to use if travelling from nearby cities like Bangalore is to go for a Bus journey or drive your own vehicle.
WHAT & WHEN TO DO
- Reach Pondi in the Morning
- Confirm stay at St. Laurent Guest House
- Rent 2 wheeler from rental shops near the guest house
- Freshen up and leave for Paradise Beach (Look it up in advance if water sports are available on that day or not)
- Take a ferry to paradise beach and figure out which water sports you want to do
- Enjoy at the beach, do water sports, play football, or any other beach games
- Take the ferry back from Paradise Beach and head back to town
- Have lunch at Cafe Xtasi – wood-fried oven pizzas
- Roam around exploring the town or relax in the evening
- Buy some drinks if you want to as the alcohol shops close down early
- Chill and take a walk at Promenade (Rock Beach)
- Talk to tourists, sit by the beach but don’t take drinks at the beach, it is illegal
- Go to Auroville Beach
- Just chill by the beach or collect shells if you are interested
- There are no shacks or shops around except a cotton candy seller who roams on the beach
- Head to Auro Village and Matrimandir, it is a beautiful ride
- You can visit the place and look at it from the outside, however to meditate there, you need to book months in advance. It is worth the visit though
- Head back to the town, have some drinks, play games at your accommodation and chill
- Go for dinner at Surguru Spot Restaurant, it is a pure vegetarian place and return the two wheeler
- Walk back, Sit and chill at the rock beach
- Freshen up and go to Aurobindo Ashram or go to Surguru Spot Restaurant for breakfast
- Followed by desserts at Zuka Cake and Dessert Shop
- Leave Pondicherry
WHERE TO STAY
- St. Laurent Guest House, it is economical and clean place, however advance booking is recommended. Close to Promenade Beach, MG Road, good locality (French Colony)
WHERE TO EAT
- Surguru Spot Restaurant for any meal, if you are a vegetarian
- Cafe Xtasi for wood-fried pizzas
- Zuka Cake and Desserts Shop for Desserts – Would recommend Hot Chocolate
HOW TO TRAVEL AROUND
- A rental car/bike is the best option. You’ll spot rental shops at main locations of the town and near the home stay as well.
- Your own vehicle if you have drive there
THINGS TO KEEP IN MIND
- We have not covered a lot of places since it was not an exploratory trip. But there are plenty of places including Arulmigu Manakula Vinayagar Temple, Basilica of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, French War Memorial, etc.
- It was a last minute plan so we did not get any public transport option and booked a car for 3 days, which was a bit expensive option
- We visited it during Christmas, and the place has good vibes in this season, however, the best time to visit is for New Year’s.
- Please do not carry alcohol out of Ponidicherry, as there is a checking on road for the same.
Ensure you travel responsibly and keep your carbon footprint to the minimum. Happy Xploring!
Want to share your experience and tell everyone about how you travel and plan your trips? Now you can, in just a few steps! Head out to Share your Trip page now!