At about 30km from Lonavala, Pawna Lake serves as the perfect weekend getaway to get a respite from our daily fast paced lives. Picnic and camping near Pawna Lake have become quite the popular activities for people from nearby cities. Pawna Lake, is a reservoir turned artificial lake which is a result of the Pavana dam across the Pavana river.
We made the trip from Mumbai to Pawna Lake and it ended up being about INR 3,000 per person.
HOW TO REACH PAWNA LAKE
Camping near Pawna Lake with family and friends is a good way to spend a relaxing yet fulfilling weekend. Therefore, it doesn’t come as a surprise that people from nearby cities, especially Mumbai and Pune have started to increasingly choose Pawna Lake camping as their weekend getaway.
Mumbai to Pawna Lake – Train from Mumbai to Lonavala. Jeep/cab from Lonavala to Pawna Lake camp site.
Pune to Pawna Lake – Local train from Pune to Kamshet. Jeep/cab from Kamshet to Pawna Lake camp site.
If you may not want to travel in train, then a road trip is your best solution. The roads are nice and you will find natural beauty throughout the route.
WHERE TO STAY AT PAWNA LAKE
Pawna lake is popular for camping and as such people stay in tents and enjoy the night stars. These are some of the campsites that you can book for your stay:
5 Billion Stars
Yeshwant Camping Tent
Pawna Lake Night Stay
We chose the “5 Billions Stars” campsite for our stay. It offered a beautiful view of the sunset and the lake. Tents are neat and the staff is helpful.
WHERE TO EAT AT PAWNA LAKE
- Campsites serve barbecue and dinner on day 1. Breakfast is served on day 2 before the check-out.
- There aren’t any other meals besides this.
- So, if you are someone who likes to munch on something late at night, you might want to carry some extra snacks and drinks.
WHAT TO DO AT PAWNA LAKE
- Reach Pawna Lake before sunset. Watching a sunset always have good vibes to it.
- We reached before sunset and checked in at the “5 Billions Stars” camp site.
- Then after a soothing sunset and having some time to chill with friends we had the campfire and a barbecue. For the better part all the camp sites at the lake offer a barbecue in the evening.
- Post some amazing time of singing at the campfire we had our dinner, relaxed under the stars and retired in our tents.
- The campsite also offered games like chess, carrom and badminton to have an enjoyable time.
- Waking up to the sunrise by the lakeside. Breathtaking to say the least.
- Then a wholesome breakfast followed by the check out.
- Just the basics of staying in a tent, bonfire and music at night and the wonderful sunset sunrise are enough to make one feel rejuvenated and energized.
- All in all camping near Pawna Lake is a weekend getaway that will not disappoint you.
We took a local train to Khopoli station from Mumbai. The stations is 50 kms from the camp. Interestingly, we decided to take an auto-rickshaw to the camp location and travelled 50Kms uphill in it. The cool breeze and view we enjoyed in the auto-rickshaw was beyond our expectation and will surely be remembered.
This Itinerary was contributed by a Community Member!
Did you find this Pawna Lake Camping guide useful?
Check out some other interesting guides for places in Pune and Mumbai!
SUBSCRIBE IF YOU LIKED OUR CONTENT
We create new exciting travel content, curate an excellent social feed and also organise experiences like these. If you enjoyed our content, stay on our mailing list to hear from us about new exciting things we create and curate!
Ensure you travel responsibly and keep your carbon footprint to the minimum. Happy Xploring!