An exploratory guide that will take you through these 3 destinations in just 3 days. This guide will help you to plan your trip to Pune and destinations around. We have explored a different side of Pune in this guide rather than the shopaholic’s and foodie’s paradise.
Check in at Pune
Visit shaniwarwada and Rajiv Gandhi Zoological park
Next day take a bus to Mahabaleshwar
Negotiate a curated trip package with a local taxi driver
Don’t miss the last bus to Pune at 6pm
Book a car for next day to visit Lavasa
Enjoy the journey to Lavasa
Have lunch at at one of the restaurants and leave for Pune
HOW TO REACH
- Pune is well accessible by all modes of transport. You can take flights, trains, buses or drive your own vehicles depending on where you are travelling from.
- Mahabaleshwar will be accessible from Pune via road.
- Lavasa is accessible by road only. Only cars & bikes can take you to Lavasa. Nearest major airport and railway station will be in Pune. You will either have to take your own vehicle, rent a taxi or take a car rental in Pune.
WHAT & WHEN TO DO
- Check in at Pune, have breakfast and hop on to a local bus for Shaniwarwada.
- Enjoy the the historic place and click pictures with beautiful scenery.
- Adjacent to it is Jijamata chowk, from there hop on to a bus for Rajiv Gandhi Zoological park.
- There’s one bus every 20 mins.
- The Park is well maintained with good variety of wildlife.
- FC road has loads of restaurant to choose from for dinner while back in Pune.
- Get up early and catch a bus for Mahabaleshwar.
- There is 6:15 Shivshahi class (a/c) bus from Shivaji nagar bus station.
- Reach Mahabaleshwar by 10:30-11 PM.
- Outside bus station there will be a taxi stand and they’ll offer you plans for local sightseeing based on time and Kms you want to travel.
- Don’t opt for that, instead plan well and know what you want to visit and demand and negotiate for that curated tour.
- Visit Venna lake, boating and horse back riding is available there.
- From there eco point. It has breathtaking views and in monsoon its something out of picture book.
- From there Lingamala waterfall.
- We went to Arthur’s seat next. It’s gorgeous as well but with time crunch I would suggest to give it a skip and visit someplace else.
- Mapro garden was next, strawberry and freshcream speciality is brilliant.
- There is 6:30 shivshahi bus to return, take it and be back in Pune by 10 PM.
- Bahubali Parathas in wakad serves good food after all the travelling.
- Book a Zoomcar for next day.
- Take some rest, have breakfast and leave for Lavasa at around 12 pm.
- Soak in the nature while on the journey. It is is picturesque view.
- Pay a Rs. 500 entry fee. Explore the city.
- All the activities advertised were not operational. They’ll mostly be active on holidays and the main season times.
- Leave for Pune by 5:30 – 6 Reach Pune by 8:15 and have lunch at Upsouth, Wakad.
WHERE TO STAY
On this trip, we had a friend who hosted us so we didn’t worry about our accommodation options.
However to suggest a few, attaching lists that may help you select a stay of your choice in Pune.
WHERE TO EAT
You have a range of choices when in Pune. We were there for one day only and tried food at
- Upsouth, Wakad, Pune
- Ferguson College road (FC Road) is a lively location that offers a range of options to choose from.
- However if you want all the options you have in and around Pune, you can check the Zomato page for the restaurants over here.
HOW TO TRAVEL AROUND
When in Pune, you have all the methods of travelling. There is a public transport bus system, rental cars services, autos and taxis, and option to use your own vehicle.
To use the bus transport system better, keep asking the locals and the traffic cops, they’ll give accurate and on point details to get to your destination with ease.
While going to Mahabaleshwar, taking a bus is a good option if you don’t want to drive on hilly terrain and for a bit of long distance. If not bus, taking your/rental car will be the best option.
For going to Lavasa, taking your own vehicle is the best option. It’s a short and easy drive. It’ll give you the luxury to stop and enjoy the views from the road and also give a nice time on the road.
- Research about Mahabaleshwar and opt for curated tours only to truly explore the place. The spots I mentioned above are worth visiting if you have 1 day to spend.
- If you have time to stay 2 days or more, then visit some more sights and you can also visit Panchgini which is nearby.
- We had only 3 days to explore all these places and our trip felt a bit rushed. I would suggest to plan these destinations for more number of days.
PICTURES FROM THIS TRIP
This trip was contributed by Community!
Another place near Pune that is perfect for a weekend getaway is camping at the Pawna Lake.
Ensure you travel responsibly and keep your carbon footprint to the minimum. Happy Xploring!
Want to share your experience and tell everyone about how you travel and plan your trips? Now you can, in just a few steps! Head out to Share your Trip page now!
This Post Has One Comment
Pingback: LONG WEEKENDS 2020 & WHERE TO TRAVEL IN & OUTSIDE INDIA - Xplore The Earth