This is a guide for a one day trip to Makalidurga. It is a beautiful place to trek and explore located aproximately 70 kms from Bangalore, near Dodbalapur. You can camp at night at this place, as of Feb 2017, there were no police restrictions. However as of august 2017, Bangalore’s forest department has made a few eco trails around the city.
You may find some guides from forest department to help you out at the base at these locations. More info here: https://myecotrip.com/trails/1/Bangalore%20landscape
HOW TO REACH
You can reach by road or by rail. A convinient way to go is by a scooter or car. You can park at the bottom of the hill. A local guy sits there to guard the parked vehicles and charges 20-30 Rs.
- You can take a bus that goes via doddaballpura. It lies 10 kms ahead of the town.
- By rail you can directly get ticket for Makalidurga railway stop. 56503/Bengaluru Cantt. – Vijayawada Passenger
- This is the direct train that takes you. Departs at 7:40AM from Majestic Daily. You will find trains coming back from the station as well. Ask about the timings at the Makalidurga Station.
ABOUT THE TREK
It is quite an adventurous trek.You will find a trail at the bottom after crossing the railway tracks. It will lead you to the top.
However to make it more adventurous, we decided to ditch the trail and climbed from the opposite direction.It was difficult and we had to find different ways to reach the top. It took us about 2 hours to get to the top.
You may try to find your own trail or stick with the existing one, both are fun.
THINGS TO KEEP IN MIND
- Carry adequate water
- Rocks might be slippery in monsoon, stick to the trail in monsoon.
- Keep some food with you. It is beautiful at the top, you may want to spend more time than planned.
WHERE TO EAT
- Many restaurants are there approx. 10 km before Makalidurga, at Dodbalapur.
- Few vendors sell packed snacks near Makalidurga on the main road.
WHAT TO EXPLORE
- Fort ruins
- Temple at the top
- Two water reservoirs adjacent to the hill
PICTURES FROM THIS TRIP
Ensure you travel responsibly and keep your carbon footprint to the minimum. Happy Exploring!
Want to share your experience and tell everyone about how you travel and plan your trips? Now you can, in just a few steps! Head out to Share your Trip page now!