A 2 day getaway to Sun Peaks, a mountain resort municipality in British Columbia. Known for its European-style village, this town is a paradise for the ski lovers. January to April is the best time to visit this beautiful place.
HOW TO REACH
The most convenient method to reach Sun Peaks is by driving your own vehicle. It will be about 1 hour drive from nearby towns. Bus, taxi, plane all ply their trade to or nearby Sun Peaks. Closest airport is in Kamloops which is a 45 minute drive from Sun Peaks.
WHERE TO STAY
There are quite a few hotels in the village area.
There are a lot of ski-in ski-out accommodations as well.
Everything from accommodations to shuttles can be booked through Sun Peaks Central reservations.
WHERE TO EAT
- Coffee at Bolacco cafe is a local’s favourite.
- Steakhouse at Sun Peaks Lodge is the perfect place for great steaks, seafood and BBQ ribs.
- The Annex has a great food and provides storage locker facilities. Just the place you want to be before you hit the slopes.
HOW TO TRAVEL AROUND
- Self driven vehicles
- Local Public transport – Shuttle bus and Taxi
- Walking around, soaking all the beauty that this place has to offer
WHAT & WHEN TO DO
- Arrive in Sun Peaks and check in to a hotel in or around the village area.
- Hire a personal guide to help you learn the basics of skiing or snowboarding. Costs around $90 for two hour lessons. Good thing is many different slopes are available based on comfort and skill level.
- Take a drive to Sun Peaks Golf Course and let the Tiger Woods in you rejoice. You will also get breathtaking views of three spectacular mountains, Mt. Todd, Mt. Morrisey, and Sundance Mountain.
- Go for a Cat Trax Groomer Ride in the evening and get a chance to witness first hand how Pisten Bully Snow Groomer work their magic on the ski runs.
- Sun Peaks offers you an exhilarating dog sledding adventure which is your chance to experience honest teamwork of beautiful husky dogs.
- Be it with friends or family, go for the Mountain Cross Cart and challenge your loved ones in this thrilling gravity-fed course. (for further details)
- If time permits, there are other worthwhile activities like snowshoeing, tubing, downhill bike tour and elevated fishing adventures.
- Make sure to carry a lot of wind and snow-proof clothing as well as extremely warm clothes.
- You can avoid renting a taxi from the airport to the resort. Resort provides the shuttle service to and from the airport at a comparatively cheaper rates.
Sun Peaks is a beautiful and vibrant mountain resort municipality with no shortage of passionate and involved local residents. It is the second largest ski area in Canada with 4,270 acres of skiable area and is known for it’s powder snow making it nothing short of a skiers paradise.
It definitely is a year-round destination for guests in search of a welcoming, accessible, stress-free mountain experience.
SOME PICTURES FROM THE TRIP
This Trip was contributed by Community
You can reach Sparsh for any queries about this trip on his Instagram.
Ensure you travel responsibly and keep your carbon footprint to the minimum. Happy Xploring!
Want to share your experience and tell everyone about how you travel and plan your trips? Now you can, in just a few steps! Head out to Share your Trip page now!