A 3 day trip itinerary to enjoy the beauty Himalayas and exploring the town of Mcleodganj. This trip is suited for all ages and groups.
Take a flight to Dharamshala
Check-in at Moonwalk Residency at McLeodganj
Visit the Dalai Lama Temple in McLeodganj
Hike the Bhagsu Waterfall Visit nearby town called Naddi (for snow)
Hike up to Gallu Devi Temple and trek through the snow
Visit the Tatwani hotsprings (30km from Mcleodganj)
Go paragliding (Indrunag, Mcleodganj)
Have a relaxing deep tissue Tibetan massage in Synergy Massage Parlor
Stroll through Mcleodganj main town and visit the local markets
Depart from Mcleodganj
BUDGET FOR THIS TRIP
INR 20,000. (Including flight from Delhi)
HOW TO REACH
You can reach Dharamshala via
- Road – To and Fro Busses from Delhi and Pathankot are available
- Train – Pathankot is the nearest major railway station. There are few local trains passing nearby to McLeodganj or Dharamshala on the way to Kashmir. They stop at Kangra and Jogindar Nagar stations, from here you can take cab or auto to reach Dharamshala.
- Air – Gaggal airport which is about 15 Kms from Dharamshala.
I took a flight from Delhi which is 1.5 hours to Dharamshala and a return bus to Delhi which is 13 hour journey.
WHAT & WHEN TO DO
- Flight from Delhi to Dharamshala (Rs 4390)
- Pre-paid Taxi from Dharamshala to McLeodganj (Rs 800)
- Check-in to Hotel Moonwalk Residency (Rs 3000 for two nights)
- Breakfast at Tibetan Kitchen in McLeodganj (Rs 200)
- Visited the Dalai Lama temple (No cost)
- Trekked to Bhagsu Waterfall (No cost)
- Spent time at the Shiva café near the Waterfall (Rs 200)
- Late lunch while returning to McLeodganj main town (Rs 150)
- Spent some time in the main town of McLeodganj
- Retired to Hotel Moonwalk Residency
- Breakfast at Yak Café in McLeodganj (Rs 200)
- Hired taxi and went to nearby town called Naddi (for snow) (Rs 300)
- Used the taxi to go to Dharamkot (Gallu Devi Temple) (Rs 1200)
- Trekked from Gallu Devi Temple to Naddi through the forest (No cost)
- Returned to Hotel Moonwalk Residency to relax
- Went out for dinner at Black Magic Restaurant (Rs 500 with beer)
- Retired to Hotel Moonwalk Residency
- Hired taxi for whole day (Rs 3000)
- Checked out of the Hotel Moonwalk Residency Travel to Tatwani hot springs (30km from McLeodganj)
- Breakfast on the way to Tatwani hot springs (Rs 150)
- Spent time at Tatwani hot springs and visited nearby river
- Returned to Mcleodganj for Paragliding (Rs 2000)
- Trekked around the Dalai Lama temple (No cost)
- Tibetan deep tissue massage at Synergy Massage Center (Rs 900)
- Lunch at a small local restaurant (Rs 100)
- Depart Mcleodganj to Delhi via overnight bus (Rs 900)
WHERE TO STAY
A good option which I would suggest is:
Hotel Moonwalk Residency
Address: Jogiwara Road Near Japanese Restaurant, McLeodganj, Dharamshala, Himachal Pradesh 176219
I loved the view of the snow clad mountains from my balcony
WHERE TO EAT
- Local places: There are multiple Tibetan, Chinese and North Indian restaurants where one can eat in Mcleodganj town. You can walk into any of them.
- Global/Continental Food: Black Magic, Yak Cafe (both are in Mcleodganj too)
HOW TO TRAVEL AROUND
You have local bus services available but they are not reliable.
Taxis: They are expensive, but considering the dangerous roads, their cost is reasonable.
Walking and Hiking: I also walked a lot in McLeodganj. You can roam around the town by walking.
MY STORY & SOME TIPS
I wanted to do the Triund trek, however was unable to do so. The Government closes the Triund trek from early January to mid March due to heavy snow. This is not mentioned on the internet. In fact, it is said to be a year-round trek, which is incorrect.
Early February is the perfect time to go if one wants to experience snow, yet prefers warm sun. The average temperature was about 4 degrees and was lower during the night. One has to be attired accordingly.
SOME PICTURES FROM THE TRIP
I love the tranquility of McLeodganj. The people as well as the place exhibits warmth and friendliness.Amrutha Harish
This Trip was contributed by Amrutha Harish.
If you enjoyed reading the itinerary and want to learn more of what Himachal has to offer, check out our following guides:
Complete guide to visiting Sethan – A Hidden Paradise
Hampta Pass Trek – The Perfect Guide
A 5 day trip to Parvati Valley
7 Day Solo Trip to Manali
Trek to Beas Kund
Ensure you travel responsibly and keep your carbon footprint to the minimum. Happy Xploring!
Want to share your experience and tell everyone about how you travel and plan your trips? Now you can, in just a few steps! Head out to Share your Trip page now!